Re: ssaraid & raid_10

From: Bernie Pannell (berniepannell@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 21:03:19 EST

The I/O overhead associated with raid_5 & its parity requirements make it a
no-no on disk intensive operations.

Turns out the 14104500 adapter *only* supports raid_5 & that they'd need to
replace it to support hardware raid_10.

Thanks anyway...

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Jeff Barratt" <jbarratt@compsat.com>

would you achieve the desired results by building 2 raid5 arrays and
mirroring them through the LVM via mklvcopy of all LVs or mirrorvg(if it's a
whole VG)?

I guess my question is what is the major benefit of native raid10 vs 2
mirrored raid 5 arrays. I suppose managability may be an issue, but I would
think that flexibility is gained through 2 raid arrays