Re: Hardware monitoring

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 11:47:13 EST

There are several products on the market that can do this sort of thing. We
use BMC Patrol, although in most cases just for monitoring, not control. It
monitors a variety of basic stuff - filesystem availability, error log,
paging, etc - and can be customized to monitor just about anything, either
by buying additional Knowledge Modules, or writing your own, (not terribly
difficult; I've written a couple). It can also be configured to take
actions when certain events occur and it has interfaces to things like pager
software, or for automatically generating tickets in an incident management
system. Other products on the market provide similar functions.

On the SP2, if you're prepared to spend the time then the Event Management
system is quite powerful. No additional software cost, but some manpower
costs to set it up.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe