Re: Hardware monitoring

From: Bill Verzal (Bill_Verzal@BCBSIL.COM)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 11:53:30 EST

Does it tell you when a drive fails, or memory fails, or if a fan smokes
itself ?

BV

Bill Verzal
Technical Consultant
Forbes Technical Consulting
(312) 653-3684
bill_verzal@bcbsil.com
billverzal@imcingular.com (Pager)
888-428-4025 (Pager)
MailStop: 27.202B

                    "Green, Simon"
                    <SGreen@KRAFTE To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    UROPE.COM> cc:
                    Sent by: "IBM Subject: Re: Hardware monitoring
                    AIX Discussion
                    List"
                    <aix-l@Princet
                    on.EDU>

                    12/06/2002
                    10:47 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "IBM AIX
                    Discussion
                    List"

There are several products on the market that can do this sort of thing.
We
use BMC Patrol, although in most cases just for monitoring, not control.
It
monitors a variety of basic stuff - filesystem availability, error log,
paging, etc - and can be customized to monitor just about anything, either
by buying additional Knowledge Modules, or writing your own, (not terribly
difficult; I've written a couple). It can also be configured to take
actions when certain events occur and it has interfaces to things like
pager
software, or for automatically generating tickets in an incident management
system. Other products on the market provide similar functions.

On the SP2, if you're prepared to spend the time then the Event Management
system is quite powerful. No additional software cost, but some manpower
costs to set it up.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

The information contained in this communication is confidential, private, proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for the use of the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately at (312)653-6000 in Illinois; (972)766-6900 in Texas; or (800)835-8699 in New Mexico.