Re: root filesystem shows 100% full when it isn't

From: Aaron Morris (aaronmorris@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 13:09:15 EST

This reminds me of a problem I had on Windows systems using FAT16. A
2GB FAT16 filesystem has a 32KB cluster (usually called inodes in unix)
size. A 1KB file wastes space on a filesystem because it makes the
other 31KB of the cluster it occupies unusable. In one circumstance I
saw 1.2GB of files actually taking up 2GB of space because of cluster
size. By converting the filesystem to NTFS (with 4KB cluster size), it
essentially "freed" ~600MB of space. This is more of an attempt at an
explanation than a solution.

You could try and recreate the "/" filesystem with a smaller inode size.
  The default inode size for JFS is 4KB.

--
Aaron W Morris