Re: root filesystem shows 100% full when it isn't

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 12:59:28 EST

If you've been into maintenance mode and fsck is showing no problems,
then there's no particular reason to suppose restoring from mksysb is
going to improve matters. I'm sure that there is data in the
filesystem and it may well have been backed up; the fact that you
can't see it is irrelevant.

I think that you should go back to maintenance mode, mount /dev/hd4 as
a suitable temporary name and have a look at it without anything else
to interfere. It's possible that you have data in a directory which is
normally overmounted with some other filesystem, thus masking it. Log
directories are good for this sort of thing.

With nothing else in there, then you can use du and be certain that
anything it shows you is in /dev/hd4.

If you have some external log directories - maybe NFS - you could try
briefly unmounting them and have a look underneath.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe