Re: Time reset on servers automagically

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 02:52:31 EST

<SNIP>
>> This is not represented in any log, because it's not really
>> changing anything.
> About logs, they are logged or created by applicattion that
> have access to TZ variable (every process has access to this
> variable and will be affected by it), so they will be impacted
> by TZ value. Of course the time is UTC
> always and TZ just add/subtract your global position from
> Greenwich but
> applications almost always don't use UTC.

Correct, but I think what Dave was concerned about was that there
was no log message indicating the change from daylight savings time
back to normal.

Many applications do indeed show the adjusted time. Things like
database recovery logs use the system clock, (unless they're very
badly written!) and so are unaffected.

Other applications could use this, or simply stick to GMT if they're
written that way. Perhaps not a bad idea to do this if you're
writing your own log messages. Still; I'm not sure that the benefit
of having a "correct" time outweighs the confusion that people would
face all through the summer.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe