Re: how to calculate memory utilization on a AIX box

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 07:47:26 EDT

The figure from vmstat is meaningless for your purposes. AIX will always
find something to do with memory - its too valuable a resource to sit around
idle - so the free memory is just a small amount kept free to allow for
sudden surges in demand. It bears little or no relation to how much memory
applications are actually using.

You might consider checking paging stats, but that will only tell you if you
have enough memory (no paging) or not enough (lots of paging), for the way
your system is configured.

svmon can give you detailed figures, but it's just a snap-shot. You need to
install perfagent.tools to use svmon. It's probably your best bet, though.

Another one to consider is "ps_". This is in bos.perf.pmr and will show you
memory use over a period of time.

There are documents describing these at...
http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/aix.techTips

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe