talking to modems

From: Jolet, John (John.Jolet@MISYSHEALTHCARE.COM)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 10:07:34 EDT

Here's the scenerio: i've got two 128 port async adapters, with two lines on
each. Each line has 4 16-port RANs (concentrators) on it, and each RAN has
16 modems....most of these modems have ttys assigned and enabled for dial-in
access. I need to find a way to be able to talk to the modems to make sure
each individual modem is not "hung". I can do a pdisable, then cu -m
-lttyname to the tty and see if the modem responds, but with 150 of them, i
need an automated way. Currently, i've got a perl script that uses kermit
to do this, but kermit for some reason seems to occasionally hang....then
the script hangs. I've tried the << EOF thing with a korn shell script and
cu, and i've tried the perl Expect module to try to use cu, but the
keystrokes never seem to get there. I need a reliable way of sending the
modem an at command and seeing if it responds with anything at all. And it
needs to work 100% of the time. I can't put this into production with a
script that may or may not hang. HELP!