Re: Auditing user logins and logouts

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 04:55:52 EDT

You can remove the audit of /etc/passwd reads by editing
/etc/security/audit/objects. /etc/passwd gets read all the time to
translate UID to a name, so a read audit of it is almost useless.
/etc/security/passwd is another matter! (I thought that you needed to have
the "objects" class in the classes stanza for this to apply. Apparently
not.)

Unfortunately, I believe that you have to add every single user to the audit
config. Worse than that: you need to take care maintaining it! Obviously
if a user isn't in there it won't get audited, (except for file accesses,
which are global): you can add the audit groups to your user defaults,
though, in /etc/security/mkuser.*. If you have an entry in the config file
for a user which has been deleted, it can prevent the audit system from
starting. I had that problem a few years ago: it may have been fixed by
now.
In theory, if you maintain your users normally there won't be a problem. I
think my difficulties arose when I copied audit config files between systems
which were not *quite* identical.

Just as an observation: if the auditors just want to log login activity, why
not simply use bin mode, and archive your /audit/trail file? Also, in case
you hadn't realised it is possible to use both bin mode and stream mode
together.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.

<SNIP>