Re: "Standard Build" of AIX 5L

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 09:47:08 EDT

I haven't used a CD mksysb myself, but the AIX Installation Guide (Ch. 9)
talks of "Personal" and "Generic" mksysbs. The Generic looks like exactly
what you need:

"The second type of CD is a "generic" backup CD. This type of backup can be
used to boot any RS/6000 machine running the AIX operating system. It
contains 3 boot images and all the device and kernel packages necessary to
install any system. The mksysb image that is stored on the CD does not
require that all the devices be installed in it, because the install process
will install the needed devices for that machine from the packages on the
CD. This type of backup CD might be used to install (clone) a large number
of machines in a customer's environment. This is particularly convenient
when each machine in the system environment needs to have the same image
installed, but may not all have the same hardware configuration."

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe