AIX 4.3.3 NFS Error on mounting filesystem

From: Cooper, Keith (kcooper@SELFREGIONAL.ORG)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 09:33:32 EDT

When I try to mount an NFS Filesystem I receive the
Following error:

mount aixtest:/aixtest /toot
mount: 1831-011 access denied for aixtest:/aixtest
mount: 1831-008 giving up on:
aixtest:/aixtest
The file access permissions do not allow the specified action.

The permissions on the NFS share are:
drwxrwxrwx 2 root system 512 Jun 18 14:04 aixtest

The permissions on the mount point are:
drwxrwxrwx 2 root system 512 Jul 22 16:55 toot

I have stopped and started the nfsd on both boxes.

In looking on the IBM site for a solution, I could only find the following,
of which did not solve the problem.:
=======================
Problem
During an attempt to NFS mount the /cdrom filesystem, errors 1831-011 and
1831-008 occur.

Solution
On the server (where the CD-ROM is attached), execute the following:

 # exportfs -u
 # exportfs -a
Then mount the filesystem on the client.
=========================

I also found this; but was hoping I did not have to reboot!
==================================
1831-008 Giving up on: DeviceName
Possible Causes
You attempted to unmount a file to a drive that is locked into active mode,
but the system stopped trying to access the drive.
Procedures for Recovery
Reboot the system.

1831-011 Access denied for DeviceName
Possible Causes
You attempted to unmount a file to a drive that is locked into active mode.
Procedures for Recovery
Reboot the system

Any ideas? What is locked into active mode?

Thanks in advance guys.

Keith C.

Keith Cooper
Unix Administrator
Self Regional Healthcare
Greenwood, SC USA

IBM AIX System Admin 4.3/System User, A+, Linux+,
Network+, I-Net+ Certified, Compaq APS Certified - Notebooks.