Re: Installation of SP2 node going very slowly

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 05:21:21 EDT

Well; various people have suggested that it's down to network
incompatibility; auto-negotiate and the like.

All of my nodes are set to 10 Full Duplex; (I have some older nodes which
don't do 100Mb). There are no switches involved, just lots of coax and one
small hub.

I have migrated systems between nodes _many_ times, and it doesn't normally
take this long. I've even done an MCA 604 High to a Winterhawk II before,
and it took much less time.

The install did eventually complete successfully, after nearly 3 hours!

I think I'll put this down to one of those things, for now. I should have
gotten rid of all our old MCA nodes in the next couple of months.

Thanks anyway for your suggestions.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Green, Simon wrote:

> I'm installing an SP2 node from a mksysb of another node.
> The target is a Winterhawk II Wide. Source was a 604 MCA
High, running AIX
> 4.3.3 ML06; PSSP 3.2. Mksysb image is about 500MB; rootvg
of the source
> system was 3x2.2GB.
> The nodecond ran OK and the console shows the normal
installation, but it's
> been running for over 90 minutes, when I would have
expected it to take half
> that, at most. I'm familiar with the basic procedures
involved, so there's