Regatta "gotcha" ?

From: Bill Verzal (Bill_Verzal@BCBSIL.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 17:39:18 EDT

Hi *,

We have a P670 Regatta. We may have stumbled upon a Regatta "gotcha". Our
business partner and IBM are trying to find out the details. Here is the
skinny:

We have a 8-way Regatta with 16GB of memory and 1 I/O drawer. We purchased
another 8-way CPU board and 32GB of memory, as well as another I/O drawer.

When the CE went to install the CPU's, he was looking for the CPU pass-thru
adapter. This is supposedly a required item on 16-way P670's.

There are 4 bays for CPU cards in the P670, but only 2 can be used. The
other 2 bays need the "pass-thru" adapter.

The IBM business partner tells me the configurator did not spit out this
feature code as a requirement on the upgrade, nor did the config team at
the plant catch this problem.

Simply said, we cannot install the CPU card, because we don't have the
"pass-thru" adapter. We can't install the memory because we don't have the
CPU's installed. We can't install the I/O drawer, because we don't have
the CPU and memory installed.

So, if any of you are looking to get a P670 bumped to 16 processors, be
sure to get the feature code 5257 (IBM part # 21P7753) "pass-thru" adapter.
This is a priced item ($4400.00 each). Be sure your business partner's
configurator catches this, or adds it manually. You will probably need 2
of them.

BV

Bill Verzal
Technical Consultant