Re: Problems with FC configuration

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 15:46:28 EDT

We did try that, at one stage or other. (We tried damn near everything!)

It looks like the situation is now resolved. (I've got a few more tests to
do, so I hope I'm not tempting fate!) The problem would appear to be one of
compatibility. We've replaced the hub with a Compaq FC SAN Switch 16, and
after a certain amount of poking around with the configuration, I can see
the tape drives again.

(I happened to be working at our Swiss site - problem was in the UK - so I
came back early, carrying the switch and sundry cables and alternative
adapters. I even had to pay the tax on the damn thing personally, as the
Customs and Excise wouldn't take my corporate card.)

I'm not sure what the problem with the original Compaq hub was, since it did
work intermittently, but the 3534 hub we used simply doesn't work with
pSeries/RS6K. Documentation on this was confusing, as one document
suggested it was supported and the another didn't mention it, implying that
AIX wasn't supported.

Thanks to those of you who offered advice.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

<SNIP>