Can't boot, hangs on 553 (Was: Can't boot, /usr is full)

From: TIM MUELLER (MUELLT@JFS.HAMILTON-CO.ORG)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 16:26:23 EDT

I am nearly done working my way through the IBM doc, "Recovery from an LED 553 in AIX V4" (slow going, since every reboot takes 20 minutes on this J50). I thought I'd post what was going on when the system hung up in the first place in case it provides clues that I'm not getting.

Someone was adding and configuring a new user. This is his account:

1) logged in using X-Windows emulation.

2) Created a directory under /u02 named oracle

3) Added user "oracle" in the /etc/passwd file

4) I am not sure if I added a group for oracle in /etc/group file or it already existed. Have to check the file after the system comes up. [He didn't; User 'oracle' is in another group.]

5) Tried to copy the .profile from [another server]. Was not able to ftp. That is when I found out I was not able to establish a new connection.

Should this provides any clues? /user is no longer full, BTW. TIA.

-Tim