Strange System Hangs (7248 4.3.3 ML0 and DB2 7.1.0)

From: JimL1010@AOL.COM
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 16:05:44 EDT

Hello all--

Probably nothing to be done here, but I figured I'd check before I do
anything drastic, just in case...

I have a 7248 that is being used as a sometime test/dev box--and following a
reboot (first in many months), the system crashed as soon as db2 was started;
a big crash--after that, can't even log in from the console, and all process
activity appears to have halted.

So... in the absence of a backup, tried loading fixpack 3 for db2, but the
install crashed the system with the same symptoms---. Tried loading ML10,
same thing. The system gets through verifying prereq's stage, then hangs as
soon as install starts. (one exception--did manage to complete the initial
step of performing the update to bos.rte.install)

There's nothing in dbdiag.log from the db2 crashes, nothing in errpt, a check
of the db2 filesystem shows no errors, and I don't see anything suspicious on
boot.

Any ideas/recommendations of where to go (besides a clean install)?

Thanks in advance,

James