[HPADM] Nkthreads questions

From: Jeff Cleverley (jeff.cleverley@avagotech.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 16:35:48 EST

Greetings,

We did some changes to our physical network over the holidays, and also
corrected some nfs mount options for our linux workstations and compute
boxes. These changes have them talking to our hpux servers (11.11,
rp5470) via tcp instead of udp like they used to. Since we made that
change, I'm seeing the following messages in syslog on one server:

WARNING: tcpd_thread_create: thread_create failed: 12
kthread: table is full
WARNING: tcpd_thread_create: thread_create failed: 12

Here are some kernel parameters (from kmtune) on that given server that
will probably be of interest:

max_thread_proc 256 - 256
maxusers 128 - 128
nproc 1044 - (20+8*MAXUSERS)
max_thread_proc 256 - 256
nkthread 1843 - (((NPROC*7)/4)+16)

I'm expecting that I'm going to have to grow some of these numbers to
get rid of the messages. From what I can tell, I have an average of
1500 nfsktcpd threads running from the 1 process. This is from gpm and
a little script I found on the web. We have several hundred linux
compute boxes along with ~100 linux desktop boxes. According to a Dave
Olker book, the system allocates 10 threads per client connection. I
don't see how to break the threads out by what they are actually doing.

The 2 questions are:

1. Shouldn't the max_thread_proc limit nfsktcpd to 256 threads?

2. Is there a good way to tell how large I should make these
parameters? Should I just figure the 10 threads per client * number of
clients and make nkthreads bigger than that?

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Jeff Cleverley