[HPADM] NOQUEUE messages in sendmail - related to sendmail.cw?

From: Jeff Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2007 - 08:30:27 EDT

Basic question:
Am I correct in thinking adding proddb and proddb.water.com to the
sendmail.cw (and maybe relay-hosts) would likely prevent me from getting
NOQUEUE messages for virtual server proddb?

DETAILS:
In the mail.log there are many messages of the form:
May 31 15:48:11 prod1 sendmail[29634]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
proddb.water.com [xx.xx.xx.xx]

In the above:
"prod1" = real name of the active node in a Veritas Cluster.
"proddb.water.com" = a virtual hostname used for this system (For Oracle
server).
"xx.xx.xx.xx" = Obfuscated IP address for proddb.water.com.

>From Google searches and reading it appears that NOQUEUE isn't usually
an issue unless one is seeing "many" of these messages.

"Many" of course being undefined but the assumption is seeing them every
time an email occurs on a system that sends hundreds of emails per day
would be considered "many".

In /etc/mail there is a file called "relay-hosts" and another called
"sendmail.cw" that both contain names such as
localhost
prod1
prod1.water.com

They do not contain reference to proddb or proddb.water.com.

Am I correct in thinking adding proddb and proddb.water.com to the
sendmail.cw (and maybe relay-hosts) would likely prevent me from getting
these NOQUEUE messages?

Note on relay-hosts: There is absolutely no mention of this anywhere in
relation to sendmail in Google or the HP-UX Sendmail guide. I suspect
it is either a holdover from some earlier system that possibly had an
earlier version of Sendmail and/or a misconception based on
relay-domains which DOES exist in Sendmail documentation. Neither
sendmail.cf nor any other file in /etc/mail refer to relay-hosts.

This is on HP-UX 11.11 on RP8420.
Sendmail 8.9.3 (PHNE_35484)/8.9.3