[HPADM] SUMMARY: DST, and Patch PHCO_34668

From: Scalone, Galen (Galen.Scalone@vacationclub.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 13:43:46 EST

Thanks to
Steve, Mark, Jeff, Bill, and Gary

The consensus was to patch it, and NTP really has nothing to do with it.

>From the Master:

The tztab file constantly needs patching. With literally dozens of
unique (some crazy) timezones
around the world, you need to add the new tztab file to every HP-UX box
regardless of revision.
If you keep up to date on quarterly patch bundles, you'll have patched
tztab several times in the
last few years.

Now HP-UX is somewhat unique in that there is only one time kept in the
computer and that is
UTC (aka, GMT or Zulu) time. No daylight saving changes ever. That's why
NTP servers and clients
never need changing. The timezone code is part of the standard libraries
so when you reference
current time, the current value of TZ will modify the GMT time according
to tztab. All programs
(except Java junk of course) use standard calls and need no
modifications.

And unlike certain 'mature' PC opsystems, the tztab patch works on all
versions of HP-UX.

Bill