[HPADM] HP-UX Device Files changing during reboots

From: dcraska@rdg.boehringer-ingelheim.com
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 10:59:15 EST

One our HP UNIX systems was recently installed and is connected to a storage
tek l700 tape library. Part of the configuration of the HP system to see the
tape library and the LTO Gen II tape drives requires installing the ATDD
device driver, version 5.6.0.49.

We have checked the kernel setting, and this driver is set to load/load.

The issue that we're seeing is that the system sees and claims a different
set of device files during each boot. The set of devices is consistent
between the reboots. IE. When we reboot the server, we will see rmt12 and
rmt13. The next reboot, we'll see rmt17 and rmt19. The reboot after that
cycles back to seeing device 12 and 13 again. It's very strange.

We do have the /sbin/init.d/atdd script set up to claim 'specified' devices
using the ATDD drivers, and to maintained device naming between reboots, but
this doesn't appear to help.

Has anyone run into this issue or have a solution?

David Craska
Sr. Principal Systems Engineer
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Computing Services - UNIX/Linux