[HPADM] SUMMARY: Network driver cannot bind a name to the port

From: Edi CAHYADI (edi.cahyadi@st.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 21:11:45 EST

Thanks to Jordan Wiseman, Mike Keighley, Eef Hartman, Jeff Lightner, James
J. Perry and Richard Aranas for the replies.

I used "netstat -an" and "lsof -i :750" to see if the port was listening or
established. Despite the results confirmed no process was using the port,
Informix was unable to be brought up.
Commenting out the Kerberos in /etc/services will not help, as it is merely
there to associate a name with a port number. Those names may then be
referenced in /etc/inetd.conf.
The first email came from Jordan Wiseman gave me an idea. For some products,
the startup scripts need to be SUID and owned by root to bind to low ports
(below 1024). I found "oninit" (to start up Informix) was owned by informix,
when it and some other files were supposed to be owned by root. That was the
whole issue here.
Indeed, after DBA reinstalled Informix, the problem is solved.

Regards,
Edi