[HPADM] security audit and cron

From: Ted.Fisher@dana.com
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 17:43:13 EST

We have security auditors who are again suggesting that we should have
unix systems configured so that only root user is allowed to run cron and
at jobs. We are still baffled as to why they feel that usage of cron and
at are evil. They claim that the issue is control of user access, but
cron does not allow the user access to anything they don't already have
access to - only control over when it is run. It appears to us that the
auditors are simply misunderstanding - thinking that the file cron.allow
must be giving new access rights based on the name.

Does anyone know what exactly it is that gets the auditors all in a huff
over cron? Is there some hole that we're not aware of?

We are planning to tell the auditors that we are not planning on changing
all user cron jobs; but I don't want to create a big fuss if there is
anything that might cause a compromise.

Your feedback will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Ted F. Fisher
(419) 482 - 2042
Dana Corporation
Dana Information Technology
Systems Management Team
Ted.Fisher@dana.com

Any gain at the expense of virtue is no gain
Any loss endured for the sake of virtue is no loss

</PRE>
<hr>

English, Francais, Espanol, Deutsch, Italiano, Portugues:<br>
<hr>