[HPADM] SUMMARY: Mounting a logical volume with a bad block

From: jacktebbe@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 10:14:21 EST

Thanks for all the replies and "Out of Office Replies" (fifteen or so). Did I miss some convention?

Thanks to Bill Hassell for pointing out what "fsck" really does...

fsck NEVER fixes I/O errors. It fixes logical or relationship errors
in directory tables. Since you can't mount it, the error is in a
critical part of the directory or LVM structures. The only choice
is to use mount -f (if available in your version of HP-UX)> -f is
very dangerous as it can crash your system.

Some suggested the mount -f option but it is not available on my OS. Others said I could mount the volume read only but I was not able to do so. My guess is it was wishful thinking to be able to get the data from this volume. What I did learn is take a real good look at your backup strategy. For years I thought what I was doing would suffice but I ended up not having a critical configuration directory backed up. Live and learn I guess.

As we are a small manufacturing firm with limited resources, I have just plugged along with ancient UPS equipment, assuming it would just keep working. Below is some advice from Bill once again.

It's too late now, but your power conditioning is seriously defective.
If you don't have any UPS for the data center, or the HP box is using
an obsolete Sola battery unit, get it replaced with a modern unit from
Liebert or APC (I like APC a lot). Not only will it handle the power
glitches, you can add the LAN card to it and see everything from
voltage and amps to temperature. And it automatically tests itself.

As far as cost, like any data center environment controls, it is insurance.
If you buy the insurance, it will look like wasted money -- until your
current situation, and now, you'll spend whatever it takes to recover
the data.

We do have one newer APC unit but as luck would have it the server that died was on the old UPS. I have put in a req for another unit.

Thanks for all the help.

John