[HPADM] Trusted system conversion problems

From: Willis Gregory (wgregory@cox.net)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 20:48:43 EST

In September, I converted an old 10.20 legacy system to trusted mode for a
customer and tried to patch it from old archives. We need to keep it
running another 6-12 months.

PROBLEM 1

During the trusted conversion, I set password expiration time to 60 and
password expiration to 7. This past weekend, all of the passwords expired;
however, there was no advance warning message received by anyone.

During the conversion, I removed sendmail from /sbin/rc2.d since the system
does not send or receive mail with other systems.

Would this have caused the problem?

Does sendmail have to be running to receive password expiration warnings?

PROBLEM 2

Terminal security policies were set during conversion to a max of 15
unsuccessful login tries. We naturally then had a workstation where the
user tried 15 times to login and failed, then moved to another workstation
without advising anyone.

Is there a way to run a daily script outside sam that will enable a system
administrator to determine all terminals that have been inactivated?

I thought there may be a way using /usr/lbin/getprterm; however, I cannot
find any documentation on this command. There does not appear to be a way
to grep /tcb/files/ttys for such a value.

PROBLEM 3

Is there a way to run a daily script outside sam that will identify all
user accounts that have been inactivated due to failed logins?

I found some documentation on getprpw; however, it appears you have to
supply the name of an individual user each time it is run.

Thanks.

Willis Gregory
wgregory@cox.net