[HPADM] Lost drive in VG00

From: Brent Styer (bstyer@arh.org)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2006 - 11:41:13 EST

We have lost one drive in vg00 on an N4000 system running HPUX 11.0. There
are 3 drives in this group and all logical volumes are mirrored across the 3
drives. The drive that was lost is the primary boot device. The system is
still running so we changed the primary boot path. Can we simply bring the
system down, replace the drive and reboot? Then just run pvcreate on the new
device with a -B option, mkboot, then resynch the lvols? I have seen a lot
of references to running vgcfgrestore? Is that necessary? All devices show
up when a vgdisplay -v is run (the drive in question is simply displayed as
unavailable, and the lvols are available, but stale).

I am a bit concerned about running vgcfgrestore since we have been running
vgcfgbackup every night (probably in error). The drive went south on us
several days ago so a vgcfgbackup has been run after the volume group was
effected. Thanks, I will summarize after we get the drive swapped.

Brent