[HPADM] Re: email to outside from hpux server

From: vinod kumar (vinodkumarmp@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2006 - 11:13:11 EST

Thanks to everyone who replied to this .
Also sorry for the late summary .

In general there is only a very low risk by allowing
email to go out side the company network from servers
. Given below is one of the best answer I got .

*** Quote from Bill Hassell **************

The concern is understandable but the risk is low.
And most important, email is always configurable
in separate directions. You can block incoming
(recommended) by simply not providing any external
DNS entry for your internal servers. So nobody can
send anything to your box from the Internet.

I like mailx as well as logger to track specialized
batch or cron scripts but the mail should stay inside.
There is no reason I can think of to provide an
external address for your HP-UX system or even to hide
the external address and use auto-forward in your
email server. Keep it local and there are no issues.