[HPADM] SUMMARY: Internal disk on N-class machine

From: Edi CAHYADI (edi.cahyadi@st.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 00:23:42 EDT

I received some more replies to my previous SUMMARY, all confirming that replacing the disk can be done online. Thanks to Albert Pereira, Illgen Steve, Dave Johnson, Marlou Everson.
Actually there are two words that I was not aware of:
A) hot-swappable: the disk is changed online (with power still on) and the data will be restored/recoverd by the system.
B) hot-pluggable: the disk can be changed online (with power still on) but the system will not do anything about restoring the data etc.

So in this case my question was whether the disk is hot-pluggable.
Since I got downtime, I managed to replace the disk online. Yes, the disk is indeed hot-pluggable.

Here is what I did:
# lvreduce -m 0 /dev/vg00/lvol /dev/dsk/c2t6d0 (do this for each LV)
# vgreduce vg00 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
Replace the disk
# mkboot /dev/rdsk/c2t6d0
# mkboot -a "hpux -lq" /dev/rdsk/c2t6d0
# vgextend vg00 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol /dev/dsk/c2t6d0 (do this for each LV)

Regards,
Edi