[HPADM] SUMMARY: less getting "WARNING: terminal is not fully functional"

From: Maslov, Snowy (Snowy.Maslov@au.fujitsu.com)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 18:55:04 EDT

INITIAL ISSUE:

I had Installed the less-394-ia64-11.23.depot from
http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/ only whenever I go to use it I receive the
error message:

WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

Inspection of the less source code suggests that is it missing termcap
information however the terminal (in this case vt100) exists in
/etc/termcap which is symbolically linked to /usr/share/lib/termcap. I
have tried using infocmp -C vt100 and adding the full information to the
termcap file to no avail.

The box in question is a relatively fresh install of 11.23 HP-UX on ia64
hardware.

RESOLUTION:

Thanks to all I found the problem was due to not having GNU Termcap
installed. I downloaded it from the porting and archiving centre
(http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Development/Libraries/termcap-1.3.1/)
and it fixed all my problems. For those who are compiling from source
and still experiencing this error; the response I received from Phil
Peterson (Philip.Peterson@NOSPAMREMOVEME.wfhc.org) should prove most
helpful (and is what lead me to look at GNU Termcap) as detailed below.

[response from Phil Peterson]

I haven't used the precompiled binaries of less from utah.edu, but I did
compile my own from the less-394 source code. I got the same problem on
Itanium servers. (Worked just fine on PA-RISC servers by the way.)

Here is the answer I got from Mark Nudelman, the author of less.

"I had another report of this bug a while ago. It appears the root of
this problem is that the Itanium system has implemented tgetent and
tgetflag incorrectly. A more complete report is appended below. I'm
loath to add a workaround in the less code, since this seems to be a
clear bug in the Itanium software. But it's on my list of things to
consider. For now, it shouldn't be hard for you to make a local
modification to change the calls to these functions.

--Mark

The problem turns out to be with the return code from tgeten
On these systems, tgetent returns 0 on success and -1 on
failure, where the rest the world apparently returns 1 on success and 0
(or it is -1?) on failure. tgetflag returns 1 for success and -1 for
failure, where the rest of the world apparently returns 0 for failure.
Fortunately, all this is easily worked around, in get_term and
ltgetflag.

What's odd is that HP-UX/PA-RISC systems seem to return the expected
values. Why is this different for Itanium? (Not that it matters, but
anyway...).
-----------------------------------------------------------------"

I'm going to guess the precompiled binaries have the same problem my
original compiles had. I had to go and change the source code in a
couple of places to work around the stuff Mark mentioned. Once I did
that, everything worked fine. I can get you the changes I made to the
source code, but then you will have to compile your own less binaries.
I'm going to guess the stuff from utah.edu just isn't going to work on
Itanium servers.

[/response]

Snowy Angelique Maslov
System Programmer (Unix)
Fujitsu Australia
Address: Lvl 4 / 1 Breakfast Creek Rd,
         Newstead QLD
Tel: +61 7 3119 3434
Mobile: +61 401 143 934
Fax: +61 7 3119 3211
Email: snowy.maslov@au.fujitsu.com
Web site: au.fujitsu.com

This is an email from Fujitsu Australia Limited, ABN 19 001 011 427. It is confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed and may contain copyright and/or legally privileged information. No one else may read, print, store, copy or forward all or any of it or its attachments. If you receive this email in error, please return to sender. Thank you.