[HPADM] Help using swremove

From: Willis Gregory (wgregory@cox.net)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 15:46:38 EDT

I'm helping a customer with an HP9000/D390 running 10.20. He is required
to correct results of a recent scan. Many of the scan results were for
missing CDE patches. Since he is strictly a dumb terminal shop and does
not use CDE, I thought the easiest fix would be to remove CDE.

I took the system to single user this morning and ran "swremove CDE". I
received the following error messages:

"ERROR: RPC exception: "communications failure (dce/rpc)" [followed by
the date]

ERROR: A remote procedure call to a daemon has failed. Could not start a
management session for "[system name]:/". Make sure the host is accessible
from the network, and that the daemon, swagentd, is running.

* Target connection failed for "[system name]:/"

ERROR: More information may be found in the daemon log file on the target."

However, I did not see any information in /var/adm/sw/swagentd.log
regarding why it failed.

My first thought was to run swagentd as a background task and try it again,
but I thought I'd check with this mailing list first.

I'm rusty on hpux. Why does the host have to be accessible from the
network in order to remove a software package from a single host in single
user level?

Related question: Many of the other missing patches were for
OpenView. Any anticipated problems if I remove OpenView as well? The
customer only has a few servers and does not manage them over a network.

Thanks.

Willis Gregory
wgregory@cox.net