[HPADM] ps and who outputs disagreeing??

From: O'Donovan, Kevin (Kevin.O'Donovan@acs-inc.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2006 - 09:54:43 EDT

All,

A strange problem for you... we have a HPUX 11.00 server which we were
patching to bring it up to date last weekend. Since then the output of ps
and who/w do not agree.

For a particular user we can have the output of who -u saying the user has 2
processes running, but the ps -fu <user> (or ps -ef |grep <user>) says
there are no processes running owned by that user.

root@myserver:/var/adm >ps -fu joebloggs

     UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME COMMAND

root@myserver:/var/adm >who -u | grep joebloggs

joebloggs pts/5 Jun 27 14:26 0:04 26466 168.65.136.217

joebloggs pts/5 Jun 29 10:52 0:04 29495 168.65.137.163

root@myserver:/var/adm >

I can only assume one of the patches has upset it but with a QPK and several
patches on top of it there's a lot to go through to work it out. Plus
rebooting midweek isn't really an option (especially now at months end
period).

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a call open with HP, but unfortunately HP Europe HPUX support has
been very poor lately, very slow response or no response, and they've tended
to try to fob us off with some rubbish explanations (NOI to any HP guys on
here, there's some brilliant admins working with HP if you're lucky enough
for one to pick up your case but that's just how we've found it for quite
some time now).

Regards,

Kevin.

Kevin O'Donovan