[HPADM] SUMMARY: erasing disks

From: Yoho, Cindy (cyoho@umpublishing.org)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2006 - 16:41:20 EDT

I got lots of helpful advice on this one, everything from some pretty nice scripts to recommendations to use a belt sander, hacksaw, sledge hammer or very hot fire. :-)

The 2 most common suggestions were

1. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/cxtxdx bs=512k (for every disk on the array). For this Steve Ilgen had a good suggestion, to destroy all the VA7410 LUNs first, and recreate just one big LUN. That way you only have one disk to write to, saving the hassle of creating a script with a bunch of smaller LUNs/disks in it. Ah, the beauty of Virtualization!

2. /bin/mediainit -v (although this came with caveats from nearly everyone who suggested it that it might render my disks permanently unusable)

I used #1, since we might like to resell the array or maybe even use it in another location for DR. Most said I would need to overwrite the drives at least 3 or 4 times or the data could still be recovered if someone was determined enough. Other interesting suggestions that I did not try but may next time included:

- Use prealloc to create a 2 GB file, then create symlinks to the file called file2, file3, file4, etc. Then use tar -chvf /dev/rdsk/cxtydz file*
to copy the files onto the drives. Make sure you have enough "files" to exceed the size of the disk.

- Use cvui, the CommandView interface, to format all the disks with one command. The format command is under "Diagnostics"

- Degauss the drives (may also render the disks permanently unusable)

- Run a big magnet over them (also renders them permanently unusable!)

- HP has component recycling

- There are vendors who specialize in destruction of data to mil-spec standards for the DOD.

  Thanks to all who replied, as usual you were all very helpful (and entertaining :-)

Cindy