[HPADM] Destination IP address picked up by X server

From: Jeff Cleverley (jeff_cleverley@agilent.com)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 20:29:15 EST

Greetings,

We have a user who works remotely. He connects to the company firewall
via software and then logs in to a server or does Reflection X, etc.
Unfortunately, he needs to use a tool that we only have running on hpux
that won't work properly with Reflection X or Citrix. It needs some
fonts from the hpux X server. He has a linux desktop that boots up and
gets his dhcp address from a Linksys router. He can use something like
putty and log into the hpux box and everything looks fine.

The problem we have is if he tries to start a second X session on the
hpux box and run it on his linux box (xdmcp), it fails because it's
picking up the destination address (192.168.1.*) and can't route back to
it. If you do an "echo $DISPLAY" it will show the host name assigned by
the company firewall which can be routed to. When the connections fail
we see errors in /var/dt/Xerrors like this:

Mon Dec 12 16:45:59 2005
error (pid 15100): Server open attempt #0 failed for 192.168.1.201:1,
giving up

The second X session works to my linux box, but I'm on the same subnet
with a valid, routeable IP.

Does anyone know where the hpux X server is getting the 192 IP address
from? Is this something that can be changed?

Thanks,

Jeff