[HPADM] MC/ServiceGuard NIC faliover

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 10:03:01 EDT

Good Day All,
I have a question on Service Guard NIC failover. We had a situation where we were moving our HP900 network connections to a new switch. This particular HP had Service Guard running on it. I halted the only package on this system and moved the cable to the new switch. Every thing went fine with moving to the new switch and I restarted the package which is running an oracle database. We later noticed that the NIC card settings in SAM had changed from Autonegociate OFF, 100Mb, Full Duplex to Autonegociate ON, 100Mb, Half Duplex. In SAM I changed the Primary NIC back to Autonegociate OFF, 100Mb, Full duplex and noticed that the IP information failed over to the Alternate NIC. No problem so far. Then I checked the Alternate settings and notice that they had also changed to Autonegociate ON, 100Mb, Half Duplex. Once again via SAM I changed the settings back to Autonegociate OFF, 100Mb, Full Duplex. As expected the IP information failed back over to the Primary NIC but a !
 few minutes later all jobs accessing the database of this package started failing. What I found was the database/SG package was shutting down which needless to say cause some major problems. During the process of changing the NIC settings we never lost network communications to the system.

My question is:

1- Is this what SG is supposed to do if your primary NIC appears to fail and a few minutes later the Alternate NIC appears to fail
    even though the IP information failed back over to the Primary NIC?

2- Is SG assuming that all network connections have failed and shuts down the package?

3- Other than shutting down the package again, would there have been a better way of handling the NIC setting changes?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Naylor
Unix/Storage Systems Administrator
Schnuck Markets, Inc.