[HPADM] Issue seeing Ignite server in search for bootable

From: Jeff Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 16:21:07 EDT

All,

I'm attempting to use our Ignite/UX server to install an N class server
via its core Ethernet card. On doing "sea lan install" from the
firmware prompt it finds nothing. If I attempt to do the install
anyway (since I know the IP of the boot server) it errors out relatively
quickly (5-10 minutes). On the suggestion of a coworker I attempted to
do the install specifying 0/0/0/0 which is the hardware path of the lan
card (instead of just saying "lan") it takes it more than an hour but
eventually it to errors out. (Yes I am appending the IP address to
"lan" or HW path in the foregoing - just didn't list it there since it
is the same.)

The ignite server was last used to do installations in January. I've
attempted stopping rbootd, bootpd and inetd and restarting. The restart
messages in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log show no issues. All the
documentation I find on line just says I should be able to see this.
I've tested tftp connection to the Ignite server (via its real IP) and
that works. It does not work to the IPs we've assigned to Ignite itself
and I'm not sure whether it should. (Similarly attempting to ping the
IPs assigned to Ignite don't work either but they do to the physical
host.)

The hosts are in the same subnet.

I've examined /etc/bootptab and /etc/dhcptab and see no issues. There
is no /etc/dhcpdeny and I saw a complaint about that during the restart
of the daemons but since I'm not denying anything it isn't clear whether
I need an empty file or not.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to get this working?

Is there a way short of attempting the search for bootable devices to
verify whether the IPs assigned to Ignite are working? Should ping,
tftp or telnet work to those IPs?

Is it possible to Ignite by specifying the real IP of the Ignite server?

TIA

Jeffrey C. Lightner

Unix Systems Administrator

DS Waters of North America