[HPADM] How to migrate a boot disk

From: Sue Pellerito (Sue.Pellerito@jackinthebox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 16:27:36 EDT

We are migrating from a Symm to a new DMX. I have a couple of concerns:

1.) Currently on the Symm I have several HP-UX virtual partitions which
boot from EMC drives. Anyone gone through this scenerio before? I'm
thinking about connecting up to the new DMX, creating a 3rd mirror as an
alternate boot device. When the sync is done, I will make the new device
the primary boot device and attempt a reboot. Does anyone see any gotchas?

2.) On the current Symm I have been using some OS striped logical volumes
for our Oracle database files. On the new DMX drives, I would prefer to go
with only hardware striping on the SAN. We will be using SRDF to migrate.
Does anyone know of a method to 'unstripe' the current logical volumes
without recreating them and basically restoring the data?

Susan Pellerito
UNIX Systems Administration
Jack in the Box, Inc.
9330 Balboa Ave.