[HPADM] HPWorld-Interex

From: Rita Workman (RWORKMAN@wvwcc.org)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 08:16:21 EDT

It is truly a terrible loss to see Interex close it's doors.

Last year, at HPWorld, I sat in on the Interex Meeting, as one of it's members, when this decision was made.
Encompass had been quick to jump on the bandwagon of HP's new Conference and at that point HP
has made implication that support could/would be significantly reduced. They changed and later agreed
to provide support. Which made sense since this was the end user client group that uses their product.
It took great courage to make that decision...to remain true to being an end user conference, and not
knuckle under to becoming a vendor controlled vehicle.

 If what Mr. Turner says is accurate or not, is irrelevant. How sad that HP has so successfully manuervered,
intentionally or not, this end result.

I attended a vendor conference earlier this year, which touts how this is where you get the real technical
hands-on information. It was 90% marketing, with panel discussions that had the persons on the panel
simply signing songs of praise for a product I have come to learn not to trust. No discussion...just their
praises that made me wonder what prize had they been given to chirp so loud. There was only a couple
hands-on, and on well established products, so nothing new there. The only real good and technical
info I got was a piece of something I wanted to ask more on, and was told they didn't have any available
documents and weren't prepared with siting references.

My point being...vendor run conferences are marketing playgrounds on steroids and the vendor showing
you what they want you to see.

Do you all realize what we have just lost ?

Sad Regards,
Rita