[HPADM] Re: SOX Account Question

From: 'Benjamin Shayne' (shayne@hackedtobits.com)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 17:06:19 EDT

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who responded to me regarding
limiting the ability of root to su to "normal" user accounts in regards to
Sarbanes-Oxley. I had some enlightening conversations and learned some new
things.

I can break down the responses I received into three categories: 1. Many
people expressed their belief that the requirements that I am being passed by
my auditors are insane/stupid/just plain impossible. This is mostly true.
I am currently attempting to tell my auditors/non-technical management about
the limitations I would encounter while attempting to implement their
requirements. An informed management (and auditors) is a happy management. I
believe that log monitoring for privilege use should meet the standards of
SOX.

Also, while some people mentioned the removal of the su executable, I don't
like the feeling of hamstringing my servers like that.

2. Several people recommended eTrust from CA. My feelings for CA aside, I am
wary of mucking around with such basic things as user roles on a HP-UX
system with third party software. I am also loathe to spend money on a
solution I don't truly feel we need.

3. Many people, like Gary (seen below), recommended an addition to the shell
resource file that would limit a user's access when su'ing. While the script
below would limit access to root, something similar could be done to keep
root out of another account. If I am forced to implement a solution rather
than getting away with the promise to monitor (and have other people monitor)
su and other logs that contain privilege usage info, I will most likely take
this route.

* Paveza, Gary [2005-06-24, 11:49 -0400]:
> You could always add code to root's .profile:
>
> ORIG_USER=$(who am i | awk '{print $1}')
>
> if [ "${ORIG_USER}" = "user who is allowed access" ]
> then
> echo "You are allowed access"
> else
> echo "You are not allowed to su to root"
> exit 1
> fi
>
> Make sure you also add appropriate traps to the .profile to prevent a user
> from escaping the script.

[personal info snipped]

--
+ Benjamin Shayne