[HPADM] Probably simple internationalisation question

From: Thilo Rees, Continum (thilo.rees@continum.net)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 12:00:35 EDT

hi,

seems to be really simple, but I can't get it to work ;-(

How do I configure HP-UX to accept german Umlauts from input via SSH
(Putty-Client).

I have set up HPUX-CIFS server to be a member server in a Windows-Domain
using winbind for user and group assigning. The windows-domain is based
on Windows Server 2003 German, so the groups are named
"Domänen-Benutzer" for example. To get this to work I set "LANG" to
"de_DE.utf8" and add "display charset = UTF-8" to smb.conf. Everything
works fine. If I create a folder from the Windows-Side it's generated
with german "Umlauts", the owner ist the windows-user and the group is
"Domänen-Benutzer". To get this displayed correct, I just had to set
characterset translation to UTF8 in putty.
But I have tried everything to get the input of umlauts to work via
ssh/putty. Instead of an 'ö' I get 'C6', an 'Ä' leads to 'C'....
Any suggestions how to fix that?

Thanks, Thilo

--
Thilo Rees