[HPADM] binding hardware to a package

From: Jeff Cleverley (jeff_cleverley@agilent.com)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 16:35:30 EDT

Greetings,

We have some legacy systems (10.20 B160) boxes that run instrument
controllers. I've heard they tried doing a make_sys_image and a
make_net_recovery but the system still wouldn't run the instrument
controller. They then took a disk and put it in a functioning box and
did a dd from the good disk to the new one. The dd disk was then put in
a different B160 with the same type of hardware. It boots fine, but it
doesn't see the controller card. The package shows with lsdev, but the
kernel doesn't seem to want to associate the hardware with the driver
package.

If I remove /stand/ioconfig and /etc/ioconfig and do the ioscan during
boot, it creates /dev/sicl/* with over 200 device files. If I remove
these drivers and try an insf -e, it won't re-create them. This card is
in the eisa slot on the system and shows correctly using eisa_config.
What I'm trying to figure out is how to tell the system to apply the
driver package "sicl" to the card at hardware path 8/20/5/1. Below are
what I hope will be relevant outputs. Any help on why a dd wouldn't
work properly or how to apply a package to a piece of hardware, it would
be appreciated.

rf-drp:v1SSUv0S:/roothome
> ll /dev/sicl/ctl
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 76 0x010000 May 18 09:00 /dev/sicl/ctl
rf-drp:v1SSUv0S:/roothome

> lsdev | grep sicl
       76 -1 sicl sicl
rf-drp:v1SSUv0S:/roothome

output of ioscan -fn with the rest cut out:

ba 3 8/20/5 eisa CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS EISA
Bus Adapter
unknown -1 8/20/5/1 ERROR UNKNOWN EISA card

> /sbin/eisa_config

HP-UX E/ISA CONFIGURATION UTILITY

    Type q or quit to exit eisa_config.
    Type ? or help for help on eisa_config commands.

 Slot CFG File Contents

 0 !HWPC000 HP Series 700 EISA System Board
 1 !HWP1490 HP E1489 MXI/INTX Controller Interface Card

Thanks,

Jeff Cleverley