[HPADM] SUMMARY autonegotiate

From: Thomas Northup (thomaslnorthup@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 19:33:24 EDT

Here was my question:

Thanks for all you answers!!!

Admins,
Due to some unexpected disconnects we are going to turn off “autonegotiate” on some HP-UX 11.11 10/100 NIC cards that are in

two N4000s and one L2000.

We are going to set the switch to the same setting!

The question is can I turn this off using SAM and will the setting survive a reboot?

TIA
Thomas

I do not believe you can make these changes through SAM. But its quite easy to make them from the command line. Running

`lanadmin -X 100FD` (or whatever static settings you require) will make the change(s) immediately. To make these changes

permanent following reboots edit /etc/rc.config.d/hpbtlanconf.
I believe the answers are yes and yes (it is for our rp3410s). You should be able to go into SAMàNetworking and

communicationsàNetwork Interface Cards and look at current settings there.

Note: When I turned off autonegotiate here recently on one card I found we were using a crossover cable and after turning it

off we needed a straight through. Apparently autonegotiate can even determine which kind of cable you’re using. Turned off

you have to use the correct kind. Please keep this in mind if your network suddenly stops talking after the change.
since I'm not using SAM for this I couldn't tell. But you can always check in /etc/rc.config.d/hp*conf (* depends on the type

of you NICs) if it is set. And if it's set there it will survive a reboot.
Should be able to do this, I did it from commandline with no problem.
Have you tried lanadmin -X <PPA> 100FD Auto-off
To survive a reboot, just edit the appropriate driver file in
/etc/rc.config.d directory.
However, since there are many different hp* files in there and the
correct
one
depends on the rev of HP-UX as well as the NIC cards, just use SAM to
set
auto-negotiate off. You can see which file was modified after SAM is
finished
by listing the files in date order:

ll -t /etc/rc.config.d/hp*

Turning off auto-negotiate will remove FCS errors (and very slow speed)
due
a 30-40 meter cable. However, if you know you have a much shorter or
much
longer cable *and* lanadmin shows no FCS errors, the auto-negotiate
will not
change anything.

NOTE: If the disconnects occur about 5-10 mns after a reboot,
auto-negotiate
is not the problem. Your network gurus removed ping response (for
security)
from your router and HP-UX checks this every 5-10 mins. If it fails,
the LAN
card will be disabled. Fix this with nddconf:

# ndd -set /dev/ip ip_ire_gw_probe 0
TRANSPORT_NAME[0]=ip
NDD_NAME[0]=ip_ire_gw_probe
NDD_VALUE[0]=0