[HPADM] Network config questions

From: Yoho, Cindy (cyoho@umpublishing.org)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 11:45:37 EDT

Hello folks,

I am looking for info on configuring network cards on hp-ux 11i. We have a hardware partitioned rp7410 with 2 gigabit copper nics and they are currently set to autonegotiate. In the past, we had 2 other servers with gigabit fiber nics and HP told me not to use autonegotiate but to set the cards explicitly to 1000/Full. Here are the questions:

1. I thought I had set these 2 cards to 1000/Full, but they are now autonegotiate. Can anything cause them to reset?

2. We started experiencing network bottlenecks (as reported by glance) about 2 weeks ago during backups on one of these servers which serves as our backup cell manager/mediaserver (Data Protector 5.10). Is there any way to tell when the speed/duplex setting was last changed? This server has not been rebooted in 2005 yet.

3. Can I change the speed/duplex back to 1000/Full without rebooting?

4. If I have the server nic set to autonegotiate, should the port on the switch also be set to autonegotiate? I remember our former network admin (who is no longer here) saying that setting them both to autonegotiate causes constant negotiation overhead, which slows things down. One of our current network guys says they both have to be set to autonegotiate or they won't work right.

5. What are you all doing on your nics?

Thanks~
Cindy Yoho
United Methodist Publishing House