[HPADM] scsi devices not seen

From: mfearer@cox.net
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 19:02:36 EDT

 Admins,

 We just moved a data center. Perhaps coincidentally, we are now experiencing a high rate of external SCSI devices, mostly tape davices, that are no longer seen, i.e., no output from an ioscan (for the tape devices that we are looking for) or claimed but NO_HW. These have occured on RP5470 and N4000 class servers running HP-UX 11 and 11i. These have all been on external devices using combinations of fast-wide and ultra SCSI cards. We have used SAM to check and/or load drivers, ioscan's, insf's in an attempt to verify and activate these devices. Most of the time, an ioscan comes back with no output (ioscan, ioscan -f, ioscan -fnK tape). We have rebooted (shutdown -r) continuously. We have tried many different SCSI cables and SCSI ID's on the devices. We have even borrowed the same model tape devices from other machines with the same results. We are having these failures on multiple servers, so it probably is not an enclosure. These tape devices worked before this move. Are the
 re any OS commands that I am overlooking? How about the SCSI cards? Are there commands to verify the hardware? Should they be reseated?