[HPADM] hpux / linux nfs issues

From: Jeff Cleverley (jeff_cleverley@agilent.com)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 17:36:41 EDT

Greetings,

We've been running hpux 11.00 nfs servers and linux compute boxes (RH7.3
and 8.0) for a couple of years now with no serious side effects. We
recently started rolling some hpux user workstations to linux boxes
running RHEL Enterprise Workstation 3. These boxes have seen numerous
timeout, slow transfer rates, etc. The hpux nfs servers have 64 nfsd
processes running and most of the time they account for 45 of the top 50
processes. The network switches never show the capacity of the servers
maxed out, so we're leaning towards there being some type of nfs
protocol differences between the two flavors. We're walking through
Dave Olker's nfs guide also, but we can't be taking these servers up and
down for reboots on a regular basis.

This problem is obviously a big time drain and don't expect anyone to
try and individually try and trouble shoot it. What I am asking for is
1 of/or 2 things.

1. Has anyone had any issues between hpux 11.00 and RHEL relating to
nfs that you've been able to identify and fix?

2. Are there any good software tools that we could install on either or
both types of boxes that would effectively act as a packet sniffer and
give us an idea of what is running through the network? Unfortunately
our networking department has been outsourced and the contractors don't
have access to a packet sniffer :-(

Thanks,

Jeff