[HPADM] SUMMARY: hppi / jetadmin transferqueue not working

From: Jeff Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 15:10:18 EDT

All,

First thanks to those who responded:

Rita Workman

Bill Hassell

Dan Zucker

Steve Ilgen.

Rita got me thinking about doing some extra work with pstatus and
qstatus and Bill suggested just adding the printers with a for loop
using addqueue. His follow up to a question about pstatus led me to a
solution. I believe the issue was that the pstatus and qstatus files
had a different structure having been originally created by Jetadmin
than they needed for HPNPL (hppi).

Here's what I did to solve the problem:

Note: these are the steps I think were necessary to resolve it though I
didn't necessarily do them in a linear fashion without intermediate
steps that added no value. In the below "target system" is the system
to which I am adding the printers and "source system" is the system from
which the printers came.

     1) Installed HPNPL E.10.34 (hppi - replaces Jetadmin) on target
system.

     2) Ran "/opt/hpnpl/bin/transferqueue local" to convert existing
printers from old Jetadmin to hppi on target system.

     3) Copied /opt/hpnpl/bin/transferqueue from hppi on target system
to source system as /tmp/transferqueue.

     4) On source system ran "/tmp/transferqueue backup" to create the

        /tmp/queues.tar file. (Basically just a tar of

        /var/spool/lp/interface including
/var/spool/interface/model.orig)

        This complained about not being able to create log and tmp files
but

        these aren't necessary for the tar file to be created.

     5) Copied /tmp/queues.tar from the source system to the target
system.

     6) On target system ran "/opt/hpnpl/bin/transferqueue".

        Without arguments it simply installs the printers from
/tmp/queues.tar.

        This was done to add the printers from source system to those
that already existed on target system.

     7) Again ran "/opt/hpnpl/bin/transferqueue backup" on the target
system.

        This was to create a new /tmp/queues.tar that contained all
printers.

     8) Ran "lpshut" to turn off lpsched.

     9) cd /var/spool/lp

        cp -p pstatus pstatus.old

        cp -p qstatus qstatus.old

> pstatus

> qstatus

        This saved the original pstatus and qstatus files then made
empty versions for fresh start.

    10) Ran the following for loop:

          for PRINTER in `tar tvf /tmp/queues.tar |grep -v model.orig \

           |awk '{print $NF}'`

          do rm /etc/lp/member/$PRINTER

             rm /var/spool/lp/interface/$PRINTER

             rm /var/spool/lp/interface/model.orig/$PRINTER

             rm -rf /var/spool/lp/request/$PRINTER

             lpadmin -p$PRINTER -mdumb -v/dev/null

          done

        versions for fresh start.

        This removes all entries relevant to the old printers then
re-adds them using the "dumb" printer model.

        Verified this added entries to pstatus and qstatus.

    11) cd /var/spool/lp/interface

        tar xvf /tmp/queues.tar

        This basically replaced the interface and model.orig files
created during the for loop with the actual ones bundled by

         transferqueue earlier (thereby replacing the model "dumb" I'd
specified above).

    12) Ran the following for loop:

          for PRINTER in `tar tvf /tmp/queues.tar |grep -v model.orig \

           |awk '{print $NF}'`

          do enable $PRINTER

             accept $PRINTER

          done

        This enabled all the printers and set them to accept print
requests.

Also I installed PHCO_31016, a cumulative spooler patch, on the target
system but I'm not sure that was necessary for the fix. Since it has
been out for some time its probably a good idea.

Steve had pointed out that early versions of transferqueue had the wrong
chmod value for $MODEL. The version that comes with HPNPL E.10.34 had
the correct value.

As noted previously this had worked fine when I did the transferqueue to
11i servers but those servers did not have pre-existing queues of their
own as this 11.0 target system did. Since they started with empty
pstatus and qstatus files there was no problem adding the printers.

My original question follows: