[HPADM] rstchown on HP -- _POSIX_CHOWN_RESTRICTED

From: Srinath Rajagopalan (srinath@nortel.com)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 18:56:08 EST

Greetings,

   Was wondering if you folks would provide your input on "rstchown" and
what is the general recommendation for it from a OS perspective?. It is my
understanding that "rstchown" is disabled by default (letting users be able
to chown their data) on HP (10.20 as well as 11i?), from my searches, I
haven't been able to figure out if there is an easy way to change this, if
needed?. I see it is being tied to _POSIX_CHOWN_RESTRICTED variable (from
the man pages of pathconf/fpathconf, nothing about rstchown in "man 2
chown"). Also, it looks like it can be changed using "setprivgrp" (man 1m
setprivgrp, man getprivgrp) along with a /etc/privgrp file, wanted to see if
I could get some details on this?. Is the POSIX standard to leave this
"enabled", if so, any idea why HP chose to go the other-way around (Solaris
for instance seems to leave this "enabled" by default, with an option to
reset it by defining rstchown=0 in /etc/system, RH Linux seems to leave it
"enabled" by default as well)?. Appreciate your inputs, I shall summarize.

Cheers,
Srinath