[HPADM] SUMMARY Aliasname for UNIX user

From: Paul.Soltermann@vonroll-isola.com
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 02:22:01 EST

Hi,

Thanks to David Lodge and Mark Gosselin for similar statements see below
.
Meanwhile i got another suggestion from Bill Hassell, so I'm compelled to
 keep my transition period for usernames really short:

And just to amplify the potential problems. You'll fail every Unix audit
for security if the output of the command: logins -d shows duplicate
usernames. This is the first technique hackers use to get into your
system.

Thank you Bill !

Paul Soltermann

----- Weitergeleitet von Paul Soltermann/ISOLA am 24.02.2005 13:36 -----

I had a big rant about this before.

The most important thing to remember is that a user in Unix terms is the
userid (119 on the below example) - the name entry in /etc/passwd or the
/tcb is just an alias to match the user authentication string (i.e. the
password).

So in the case below, both the username and the password match to userid
119; so both are userid 119.

This will work; but has potential problems with, for example password
changing and other parts of the user security functions. Also, some dodgy
programs read /etc/passwd directly rather than using the library calls and
may not work in this state.

So, if you are doing this - it may work; but may cause problems, so keep
your transition period really short.

BTW what's wrong with just changing the usernames?

dave

----- Weitergeleitet von Paul Soltermann/ISOLA am 24.02.2005 13:36 -----

"Gosselin, Mark" <gosselinm@netscout.com>
24.02.2005 13:13