[HPADM] Netbackup tpconfig drive add failures

From: Jeff C. Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 10:24:44 EST

All,

This one has driven me nuts. I don't see it in the archives.

BASIC QUESTION:

How can one reliably add Netbackup drives to media servers in Shared
Storage Option (SSO - SAN) configuration via command line?

I already know about tpconfig and tpautoconf - issue is with tpconfig -
don't want to use tpautoconf. I have added the robot prior to
attempting to add the drives. Command lines attempted using tpconfig
are at the end.

DETAILS:

We are installing several new media servers on HP-UX 11.11 boxes for
Netbackup 4.5 Data Feature Pack 6.

When I attempt to add drives using the tpconfig command line (that is to
say non-interactively) I am getting:

Cannot update drive in device configuration: Drive name is already in
use by another drive.

The drive however is NOT already on the host in question though of
course it does exist on other media servers. (We are adding it as an
SSO drive.)

When I add the drive using tpconfig interactively it adds the drive
correctly.

What is driving me nuts is that the command line is working 90% of the
time and balking on occasion for no reason I or my co-worker can
discover. We are adding 20 drives to each of 18 servers so adding the
drives interactively is a major pain.

Initially on adding to one new server the command line was successful
for 12 out of 20 drives. My co-worker thought this might be a licensing
issue but we have since verified we have all licenses.

Due to an upgrade tpautoconf had been run on the master server some time
back there was a sequence mismatch between drive index numbers and drive
numbers. (It is for this reason and because tpautoconf uses long names
rather than short names for device paths that we don't want to run
tpautoconf.)

We suspected there could be an issue with tape drive serial numbers
mismatch between the hosts due to this and did find some evidence for
it. Because of this we decided to redo the master (and robotic control)
server's drive mapping. This was done by hand on the master/robotic
control host. Once this was done I ran tpconfig -delete to delete all
drives from all other hosts.

After the deletions were done I ran a script that gets the hardware path
of the drives from ioscans on the master and pairs that with the
tpconfig -d info for same drive on master to generate tpconfig command
line to add the drives to the host on which the script is being run.
This ran successfully for 13 out of 15 hosts attempted the first day.
My coworker added a couple of drives interactively then was able to run
the command line add for the remaining drives on the 14th host. A day
later the command line which had not worked on the 15th host the
previous evening ran just fine!

Yesterday I was adding the remaining two hosts and the command line
worked fine for one but not the other. I decided to wait until this
morning to see if it would work but it didn't.

The above leads me to the conclusion that there is something about the
state of the Master server or one of the other hosts that is variable
which prevents addition of the drive at some points but allows it at
others. However trying to tie this to actual drive activity (i.e.
backup or restore in progress) or ability to communicate with the other
media servers shows neither of these are the issue.

On speaking with Veritas support they said tpconfig command line is not
supported which I don't accept. It is true that tpautoconf has several
command line options that they don't detail in the man page because they
are not supported but this is not true of tpconfig. Its man page goes
into great detail about how to use the command line. Finally they
suggested attempting to add using the Java GUI with debugging on to
capture its command line. This was done and minor variations in the
command line they used were found. However on attempting to use the
command line they had used I STILL got the error so the issue isn't the
options I used. (The fact that those options worked on 15 hosts proves
that anyway.)

Command line used:

tpconfig -add -drive -type hcart -path /dev/rmt/6mnb -asciiname Ultrium1
-index 0 -shared yes -drstatus UP -robot 2 -robtype tld -DRIVE 1

Alternate used based on debug capture:

  /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -add -drive -asciiname Ultrium1 -type
hcart -multihost yes -robot 2 -robtype tld -robdrnum 1 -altname
/dev/rmt/6mnb -noverbose

TIA and I will summarize.

Jeffrey C. Lightner

Unix Systems Administrator