[HPADM] Summary: Booting from alternate logical volumes and disk sync behavior

From: Jeff Cleverley (jeffc@ftc.agilent.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 20:06:52 EST

Greetings,

I only received one reply which was from Anil Rajapure, who reminded me
of booting from the alternate kernel.

We were aware of this option, but it failed on a server someone tried a
week before, so we were not wanting to rely on this.

What we ended up doing was pulling one disk from the root disk mirror
before doing the patching. Once the patching was complete and the
reboot done, we plugged the drive back in and did the vgchange and
vgsync commands. The only odd effect of all this was a diskinfo of the
disk that had been pulled showed io_search failure messages. An ioscan
-fnCdisk cleared up the problem.

The original post is below.

Thanks,

Jeff