[HPADM] RE: not able to login

From: SURI, SONIA (SONIA) (strehan@lucent.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 00:28:27 EST

Hi ALL,

Thanks to all who responded, i have received So many response that it is
difficult to include all the names, but most of the replies talked about ,
mounting the particular filesystem or mount -a in single user mode.

But unfortunetly, in single user mode, i was not able to run
/sbin/mountall or mount -a
this as well displayed, commond not found

So finally did

cd /sbin
./mountall

This worked
then did ./bdf, as bdf command was not working.

noticed /var was 100% full, deleted few of the files.

After this just booted the servers, by reboot, this time, in single user it
accepted the reboot command, earlier even reboot was not accepted by System.

Now system reported /etc/passwd file not there. Recovered the file from the
/etc/passwd.old

System is up and running now.

BUT starnge part is i do not still understand two things
1. Why i could not execute /sbin/mountall, but cd /sbin and then ./mountall
worked.
2. How passwd file was missing. The same problem with passwd file was there
few days back and we recoved it thinking as manual error, how come a manual
error repeate itself. only difference was last time it was easy to work on,
as single user mode had no complication, it accepted all our commonds, but
this time it was little confusing because of the behaviour of singke user
mode.

Regards
Sonia.