[HPADM] - SUMMARY - Turbocooler fan trouble on J5600

From: Peter Hsieh (p-hsieh@northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 19:19:21 EDT

> I obtained a Panaflo DC brushless fan (Model FBA06A12H, DC 12V 0.22A) in
> muffin fan configuration and reshaped the plastic to fit the geometry of
> the HP turbocooler heat sink. I had to solder the HP connector wires to
> the new fan (+ to red, - to black, and S to yellow). The new fan is an
> exact fit for the bad fan in the turbocooler housing (which is just a
> piece of machined metal). I attached the repaired fan to CPU1 with
> PC-grade thermal paste and screwed the entire assembly into the system
> board.

I'd like to thank Ed Schernau for suggesting taking a look at the signal
going to the board. Testing the signal wire (S - yellow) on the CPU0
fan (fan #5 - known good) and CPU1 fan (fan #6 - replacement) with an
oscilloscope showed different signals from each fan. The original HP
fan was generating a 100 Hz square wave (+5V to -5V, 10V peak-to-peak),
while the replacement fan I used generated a 200 Hz sine wave (+500mV to
-500mV, 1V peak-to-peak). As the replacement fan was working fine
otherwise, the solution was to cut the replacement fan signal wire and
solder a connection from the good fan signal wire to the replacement fan
signal wire. The net result is that fan #5 (on CPU0) is supplying the
correct signal to both fan connectors. The system is now up and running.

> Questions:
> 1. Has anyone replaced a CPU turbocooler fan on a Visualize
> workstation? If so, where did you find the turbocooler? (Apparently HP
> dumped a large number into the PC overclocking market in '99, but no one
> is selling them now.) What kind of thermal compound did you use? (The
> HP compound is hard, unlike the PC thermal pastes on the market.)

A Panaflo fan of the correct geometry can be purchased from Marlin P.
Jones & Assoc. in Florida. (Part number - 15356 FN, retails for ~$3).
You'll have to use a Dremel tool or needle file to remove excess plastic
after you cut the fan from its muffin-fan cage. Some soldering is
required, as the fan comes with PC motherboard connectors and you need
to put the HP wires on it. The PC thermal paste is apparently working
fine. The only problem is that the signal on the wire, as described
above. Splicing a signal from a working fan is a kludge, but it works.
  If that isn't possible, I suppose one can come up with a circuit that
draws power from the fan power wires and generates the correct signal.

Using the right replacement fan will definitely work, but I don't know
where one could find the 0D09Z, -2DW variant of the FBA06A12H Panaflo fan.

> 3. If there is no other way to fix the problem other than to replace
> the entire system board tray assembly, what's the easiest way to move
> data off of the system? Can I just remove the hard disk, plug it
into > the drive bay of another J5600, and mount it?

Thanks to Rick Jones and Tom Myers for suggestions on moving data off
the system.

The drive bay is compatible with C3000, C3600, C3700, C3750, J5000,
J5600 systems (same drive slot hardware). You'll have to use vgimport
to make the volume group available on the new host.

Peter Hsieh
Northwestern University